Monthly notes on the Greyback Cane Beetle and its control
JANUARY -- Completion of flighting and egg-laying of Greyback. Grubs of first stage attain maximum development 5 -- FEBRUARY -- End of egg and beetle seasons Commencement of fumigation Grubs of first and second stages found in canefields. Table showing when to fumigate grub-infested cane land 7 -- MARCH -- External indications of damage to roots of sugar -cane. Occurrence of grubs of second and third stages. Use of hand injector for fumigating cane grubs 11 -- APRIL -- Great destruction of cane by grubs of Greyback beetle. Predominance and maximum activity of third-stage grubs 15 -- MAY -- Complete destruction of cane stools by mature grubs. Grubs commence tunnelling clown to construct pupal cells 17 -- JUNE -- Most of the g rubs preparing to transform into pupae. Influence of moisture on final position of the pupa 21 -- JULY -- Commencement of the pupal life-cycle stage of Greyback. End of period of activity of grubs of the Greyback. Month for ordering supplies of fumigants from the m ill 25 -- AUGUST -- E conomic significance of the pupal stage of development. Occurrence of both grubs and pupae in subterranean cells. Transformation of pupae to the winged beetle condition 27 -- SEPTEMBER -- Overhauling and repairing hand injector: how to use same. Predominance of the pupa stage of Greyback cockchafer 2G -- OCTOBER -- Beetles lying in pupal cells attaining strength for flight. Pupae derived from late broods of grubs still occur in cells 33 -- NOVEMBER -- First appearance of eggs and young grubs in canefields. Greyback cockchafer s emerge from the ground this month 35 -- DECEMBER -- First-stage grubs of Greyback are usually in evidence. Flighting and egg-laying period of Greyback cane beetle 39
Please use this to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/11079/15679
Contact Us | Send Feedback
- © Sugar Research Australia Limited 2015
- Copyright in this document is owned by Sugar Research Australia Limited (SRA) or by one or more other parties which have provided it to SRA, as indicated in the document. With the exception of any material protected by a trade mark, this document is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International licence (as described through this link). Any use of this publication, other than as authorised under this licence or copyright law, is prohibited.
- http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/legalcode - This link takes you to the relevant licence conditions, including the full legal code.
- In referencing this document, please use the citation identified in the document.
- In this disclaimer a reference to "SRA" means Sugar Research Australia Ltd and its directors, officers, employees, contractors and agents.
- This document has been prepared in good faith by the organisation or individual named in the document on the basis of information available to them at the date of publication without any independent verification. Although SRA does its best to present information that is correct and accurate, to the full extent permitted by law SRA makes no warranties, guarantees or representations about the suitability, reliability, currency or accuracy of the information in this document, for any purposes.
- The information contained in this document (including tests, inspections and recommendations) is produced for general information only. It is not intended as professional advice on any particular matter. No person should act or fail to act on the basis of any information contained in this document without first conducting independent inquiries and obtaining specific and independent professional advice as appropriate.
- To the full extent permitted by law, SRA expressly disclaims all and any liability to any persons in respect of anything done by any such person in reliance (whether in whole or in part) on any information contained in this document, including any loss, damage, cost or expense incurred by any such persons as a result of the use of, or reliance on, any information in this document.
- The views expressed in this publication are not necessarily those of SRA.
- Any copies made of this document or any part of it must incorporate this disclaimer.